Lower Your Usage
- Lower the temperature setting on your water heater. In an average home, it should be set to 120 degrees.
- Set thermostats between 65 and 70 degrees during the winter, and at 58 degrees when away from home more than a few hours.
- Install a programmable thermostat. These electronic thermostats can automatically lower the temperature while you’re at work and at night when you’re sleeping.
- Run washing machines and dryers with a full load.
- Open draperies and blinds on sunny winter days to let the sun’s warmth in. Close them at night to help retain the heat.
- Use kitchen and bath ventilating fans sparingly in cold weather. These fans can remove all the warm air in your house in an hour.